2.18.2007

E18


Epic - for me
Saturday, yesterday, 02.17.07 was another lesson in Futility for me. Really it wasn't that bad.. But it was the first hard ride of the year for me.
yeah yeah, intervals, spinervals, hills, etc only do so much. They don't really amount to jack once one is out on the trail, in conditions meant to be spent by the warm fire and hot drink. Nevertheless it was fun, so kudo's to those that made me get out there and do it.
Group ride, with Diesel, Ahole, JT, and some dude Wes. I've only met JT a couple times, and Wes today. Doesn't really matter because I rode so far back I didn't see any of them. Diesel planned the ride along the Kanawha Trace. Portions of it, anyhow... Mile post 8 or so, Big Cabell Creek through Cananan Lands, Gobbler Knob, Black Jack, that's as far as I've ever been so any other notable areas, I have yet to bust a cherry on. But end up in Frazier's Bottom where Diesel dropped his vehicle off the eve before.
I didn't do the Big Cabell Creek portion, the group picked me up at my house and I did the Cananan Lands - portion. The climb to Cananan Lands was a pain. I really thought I'd do better, but to be honest once to the top I felt I recovered well so maybe somethings going right. Ahole - was riding a Single Speed - modified to have two speeds. Climbing this hill I could only think of what a ReRe one would be to inflict such torture on oneself. But he still beat me to the top.
Down the Goat Trail, Christmas Tree Farm section. I hadn't been on this in so long. The trees must have been 5 feet tall last I saw them, they're now 8 to 10 or more. The frozen ground and over inflated tires on the 9.8 made me realize just how bad I'm in need of a new front suspension fork.
Then it was up a real torturous climb. Lft Fork of Cooper Creek Road. this steep Dirt Road Climb was my first introduction today of the ice covered dirt road. Let's make sure that one realizes, snow, ice whatever, I was not climbing this hill today if the conditions were optimal. However one had to choose their lines well, some of this simply was luck. But it was easy to find the ice spots for me as I spinned out easily on several occasions. Walking mostly to the top. To me this will be a Hour's Category Climb (spelling on that?)
To the top and on to what I think the sign said Jenkin's Branch portion of the KT. This part I've always disliked, but it's a much better ride in the direction we're taking today, as it's mostly downhill. Again Years since I rode this, so I'm here to remind myself how much I dislike this section.
Crossing the frozen over creek for what seemed a hundred times, one realizes how much they weigh. By this I mean, you learn to choose your steps carefully. But rest assured I plunged through the ice on more than one occasion, and my sensitive toes were only saved by the goretex socks, and the blood kept flowing because of the endless amounts of times I was walking.
This trail is scenic, and eventually opens up into some fields and with the grey skies, snow coming down, and riders in front of me.... (yeah this was an area that I could see them that far in front of me) the view was scenic..pop out the camera and bzzzzt. Guess it froze up or something. The snow or what not may be too bright, but it just shut down. This was a common them throughout the rest of the day.
By the end of this section, I had had my fill of the Kanawha Trace for a few months. So I puss out and bail from the rest of the group. Wish them well and I plan to return home via Lft Fork of Barkers Ridge, and Hammer Hollow Road.
Up the hill to Barkers Ridge, I see what can only now be thought of as an omen, and once again, The Canon didn't work or I obviously would have showed you. But riding along a Golden Retriever had it's head buried in a recently hit deer, just having a field day with the carcase. Raising his head as I ride by, snout all red, red on the snow.. one can imagine a scene out of Cujo or something.
Hammer Hollow, is where things went wrong for me and after talking to Ahole over dinner later Saturday Eve, it sounds as if portions of they're ride were very similar.
Hammer Hollow is a Dirt Road that connects Barkers Ridge and I think it's MacComas Branch. I would descend from Barkers Ridge, ride out and end through a 30yard long Creek bed ride.
Well the decent I wrecked once, twice, and not learning my lesson back on and wreck again. This was not over once to the flat part as I must have wrecked 3 more times with one more harder than the others. Every time I turned a pedal I was on my back making snow angels it seemed. BTW, the pic is looking up the Hammer Hollow decent after wreck #2. I was able to coax that out of the camera.
Needless to say, one injured hand, limped home, getting ready to hop in the Hot Tub, not regretting my choice to bail. The phone rings, Diesel's wife says the police have called and threatening to tow his Vehicle. Well I didn't know where he parked it, but feeling they should be almost there, told her to just call back and tell them not to tow it.
Then with cold beer in one hand, I slip my fat ass into the Hot Tub, and hit the jets.
So this Epic Ride of 18 miles also was the same Error I kept getting on the Camera E18. And my choice of taking Hammer Hollow was an error... so my title is very fitting.
18 miles 3+ hours (slow going along hammer hollow)

No comments: